News: Grieve, developed by “Joseph Amadasun” and published by “AJ STUDIOS LTD”, is an Indie, strategy-making single-player, action-based third-person shooter game available on the Steam Store. You can start enjoying this game and dive into the action world to make your strategy to save hostages in secured locations. Since its release, many users have started enjoying Grieve, but, some are reporting that the game is crashing, not launching, or getting fatal errors on start-up on various forums and Reddit.
If you also start experiencing problems with Grieve such as the game crashing, freezing, or not launching, then stick with this guide – here you will know why this is happening And how to solve it.
Why is “Grieve” crashing, freezing, or not launching/opening?
There can be several culprits for Grieve to crash or freeze on your device, including– a temporary issue, corrupted game files, software conflict, pending updates, outdated graphics driver, Missing or corrupted system drivers, lack of administrative rights, Security software such as firewall or antivirus, or unknown bug from developers.
Fix Grieve Crashing, Freezing, Not Launching, or Startup Issues
Perform Basic Hacks
Before moving on to any other steps, take some basic steps that can solve such issues and let you play Grieve.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Close and restart– this is the very first step that you may try if Grieve is crashing: just close the game and restart your device (PC, PS5, Deck, etc): sometimes, the problem may be caused by a temporary glitch that requires a fresh start to resolve.
- If this doesn’t help, check if your device and Grieve are running on their newest version: older versions may cause compatibility issues, resulting in the game crashing.
- Disable Windows Firewall (PC Users)– System security software like your firewall may block certain game files resulting in a fatal error when starting the Grieve game.
- Disable your Antivirus (Windows PC)– Similar to a firewall, if you have antivirus software installed on your device, it may also block certain game files, resulting in Grieve failing to launch.
If you’ve checked these, but the Grieve game is still crashing, follow the steps below.
Check If Your Device Meets the Minimum Requirements
Along with restarting your device and relaunching Grieve, it is also very important to run the game on a system with minimum requirements: if your system fails to meet the minimum requirements, the game may crash, freeze, or won’t launch.
Here are the Minimum Requirements
- OS: Windows 10 or higher
- Processor: Core i5-7300U 3.5 GHz.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, Radeon RX 5700 XT
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 40 GB available space
Update Your PC (Windows)
If you are trying to play Grieve on your Windows PC then make sure that your PC is updated: Pending updates for your PC can be another possible reason for Grieve to crash or freeze. Check and install all available updates for your PC.
- Open Windows Settings.
- From the Settings screen, click on “Windows Update” and then “Check for Updates.”
- See if One or more pending updates are available for your PC and download and install them.
- Relaunch the Grieve and see if it starts without the previous issues.
Open Grieve With Administrator Rights
Some players on Reddit, have discussed that running Grieve as an administrator has helped them resolve crashing or startup issues.
- From your Steam library, right-click Grieve, and select Properties > Installed Files.
- Click the “Browse” button to open the game directory.
- Next, right-click on the .exe file of the Grieve game and select “Properties.”
- Go to Compatibility > “Run this program as an administrator” option and click the checkbox next to it.
- Click on “Apply” and launch Grieve.
Verify Game Files (Steam Client)
Corrupted game files might also cause loading, launching, crashing, or opening issues: verify and repair corrupted Grieve game files.
- Open your Steam Library.
- Right-click Grieve and click on “Properties” from the appeared options.
- Go to > Local Files > “Verify integrity of game files…” option.
- Wait for the Grieve files to be verified by Steam.
- After completing the process, re-launch Grieve.
Disable Steam Overlay
- Open your Steam Library and Right-click on Grieve.
- Select Properties and Go to the General section.
- Uncheck the “Enable Steam Overlay while in-game” checkbox.
- Return to your game Library and relaunch Grieve to check for the not launching issue.
Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
- Open the Steam Library.
- Right-click on Grieve and Select Properties.
- Go to General > click on Set Launch Options.
- Now, copy & paste the following command-line argument:
- Next, save the changes and relaunch Grieve.
Close Background Programs (Windows)
Running multiple background programs may consume more space and resources preventing Grieve from launching smoothly – close the programs one by one and launch the game to see which one is causing the issue.
- Open Task Manager and select a task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task.
- Launch Grieve to see if that program was the culprit.
Note: If this makes no change, perform the same steps with another program to find the culprit. And if this doesn’t help, try the next fix.
Perform A Clean Boot
A clean boot allows the minimum set of drivers and services to run your Windows PC: by performing a clean boot, you will identify if any background programs were interfering with Grieve and causing the crashing issue.
Reinstall the Game
If all the above methods are not able to make any changes to the situation, reinstalling Grieve should be your next step.
The new version of the game “Grieve” can help solve the problems that were in its previous version – uninstall the installed one and reinstall the new version.
Wait for the New Update
The installed version of Grieve can contain some unknown bugs or issues. If this is the case, you may see a new patch note from the developers of Grieve: with this new patch, known issues and bugs like crashes, loading, or fatal errors might be resolved.
Keep your eyes on Grieve’s official social media pages or contact game support.