Are you getting the “This app is restricted to Premium users only” error on Spotify? Continue reading to know the causes and solutions.
The first thing that Spotify users do to listen to music on the platform is to log in to their accounts.
Sometimes, the login process gets interrupted due to error codes or error messages such as “This app is restricted to Premium users only.”
To provide more features and interruption-free/ad-free music listening on Spotify, the platform offers premium plans.
But, even premium users are not immune to errors and problems.
What causes the “This app is restricted to Premium users only” error on Spotify?
The “This app is restricted to premium users only” error on Spotify is mainly caused by connectivity issues and outdated versions of the app or your system software.
Lyubka, the official moderator on Spotify, has officially replied that they have shut down the Spotify desktop app versions released before April 2021 in order to provide a wider and better experience.
If you have a computer (Mac or Windows) with a version of the Spotify app older than 1.1.59, you should update the app to enjoy hustle-free music.
Not only the Spotify app but, you should also update your system software to its latest version so that the latest version of Spotify becomes compatible.
Fix Spotify’s “This app is restricted to Premium users only” error
To fix the “This app is restricted to Premium users only” error on Spotify, first, troubleshoot issues with your Internet connection, and then, update the Spotify app and your system software. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app to get its latest version.
Troubleshoot Issues With Your Internet
- First, perform a speed test and report your ISP if it is very slow.
- Restart your router/modem.
- Power cycle your router.
- Switch to another internet (e.g. from Wi-Fi to mobile data and vice versa.)
Uninstall and Reinstall Spotify
When you uninstall and reinstall Spotify, the process will automatically install the latest version of the application.
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on “Uninstall Program”, under the Programs section.
- Scroll down to see Spotify.
- Once you found the application, click on it and select “Uninstall.”
- Now, download and install Spotify.
You have two ways to uninstall Spotify on your MAC. In the first method, you can do it manually and in the second method, you will need to use a third-party application.
- Tap and hold on to the app icon and select delete.
- Visit Play/App Store.
- Search for “Spotify” and install it.
Download Spotify from the Microsoft Store
- Open Microsoft Store.
- Search for “Spotify” and once the application appears, click on the “Get” button.
- Wait till the app is installed successfully, and after installing, open the app and sign into your Spotify account.
Update your Device’s OS
Older device OS can also cause the error. That’s why updating your device’s OS should also be your choice of action.
- Open the Settings app and select “System” followed by “System update”.
- If there’s an update available, install it by following the on-screen instructions.
- Open the Settings app and select the “General” option followed by the “Software update” option.
- See if any update is available, if so, select “Download and Install”.
- Open Settings app.
- Click on “Update & Security.”
- Click on “Check for Updates.”
- If there is any update available, install it.
We hope you have found the solution. Tell us how this guide goes for you! Thanks.