Are you facing the “Your dock fan has failed” error on your Dell Docking Station? Keep reading this guide to solve it.
The full error appears as: “Your dock fan has failed. You may experience reduced performance until your dock is serviced.”
This error can arise because of a hardware or software issue on your Dell docking station.
Hence, you may need to replace your dock fan or the entire docking station if it is showing up due to a hardware issue, while a software issue can be easily resolved by updating the firmware or resetting the device.
Before spending money on hardware, it can be helpful to try to fix this error yourself by doing a few very simple things.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix this fan-related error on your Dell docking station.
Fix Your Dock Fan Has Failed Error on Dell Docking Station
If you are getting the “Your Dock Fan Has Failed”, first, make sure you’re using the original Dell power adapter, then try resetting your Dell docking station.
If this doesn’t work, try updating the dock firmware and the laptop’s BIOS.
This should fix the error. Otherwise, the problem is in your dock fan.
In this case, replacing the fan or the entire docking station would be the solution for you.
Use the Original Dell power adapter
To prevent the “Your dock fan has failed” error, use the original Dell power adapter that came with the docking station.
Switch to the original adapter if you are currently using a different one.
Tip: Try powering the laptop using the laptop AC power adapter directly instead of the docking station.
Reset The Dock
- Remove all the cables connected to your computer/laptop.
- Unplug the dock from the power source (AC power).
- Press and hold the power button on your dock for about 1 minute to drain the remaining power.
- Plug the AC power cable into the dock.
- The power button should blink 3 times.
- Now, plug the cable back into your computer/laptop.
Update Your Dock’s Firmware
- Visit https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/
- Click on “Browse all products.”
- Next, click on “Electronics and Accessories” and then “PC and Tablet Accessories.”
- Scroll down to see your Dock model. Once you find it, click on it and select “Select this product.”
- On the new page, click on “Drivers & Downloads”
- Select your operating system and then download the Firmware Update Utility from the list.
- Once the download is completed, open the command as the administrator privilege.
- In the command prompt, type- “CD\” and hit the enter button.
- Now, type the “delldockingstationfwUP_version /componentsvers” command and hit the enter button again. (Replace the ‘version’ with your downloaded version for example if its version 1.5.2_IE-3213, the command should be “delldockingstationfwUP_1.5.2_IE-3213 /componentsvers”)
- Once the firmware is updated, reset the docking station as explained above.
Update Your Laptop’s BIOS
- Visit https://dell.com/support/drivers
- Browse for your Laptop and select BIOS under the category.
- Download the latest version and click on the setup file to install it against the older version of your computer.
- Follow the instructions and complete the process.
We hope this guide helped you. Tell us how this guide goes for you! Thanks!