BBC iPlayer is an app that provides all BBC content such as the latest TV series, documentaries, live shows, and videos in a single app. The app could be accessed on many devices such as TV, Apple TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, etc. For some Apple TV users, the BBC iPlayer app is not working.
Let’s find out why? Knowing the root cause could make things easier. This will help you to take the right action to fix the problem and get back the iPlayer app.
Why on my Apple TV, the BBC iPlayer app is not working?
The causes for this issue could be as follows;
- Your internet connection.
- A temporary glitch or bug in the BBC iPlayer app.
- Outdated version of your device (Apple TV).
- Outdated version of the BBC iPlayer app.
- The corrupted cache of the BBC iPlayer app.
- A temporary server outage with the BBC.
Let’s do a deep dig, and get detailed information about the solution steps.
How to solve; if BBC iPlayer is Not Working on Apple TV?
Troubleshoot Your Internet Connection
As a first step, check whether your internet connection is steady or not. If there is an issue with its signal; it is not stable or keeps disconnecting, the BBC iPlayer app will fail to connect with its database and hence, the app will face issues.
So, it is very important that your internet signal is stable so that the connection could be steady.
Wait a while and retry
Sometimes, the issue could be from the BBC end. This could be temporary so waiting a few minutes and trying again could be the help; if there is such a problem.
Check For Updates (For Apple TV as well as the BBC iPlayer app)
Updates resolve many bugs and issues that the previous version had. If you haven’t updated your device for a long time, possibly, it is causing issues with the BBC iPlayer app, and the app isn’t working.
So, check the update for your Apple TV and install it. To do this,
- Open the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Now, go to System >> Software Updates and select Update Software.
- If there is any update available, you will see a message.
- Select Download and Install, this will start downloading the update for your Apple TV.
Note– Make sure that during the process, don’t disconnect your Apple TV. During the process, the status light may flash slowly.
To update the BBC iPlayer app on your Apple TV,
Access Settings apps on Apple TV. Go to Apps and Turn automatic updates on or off, or Select Automatically Update Apps.
If Automatically Update Apps is turned off, select the BBC iPlayer app from the App Store and update the app manually; if an update is available for it.
Clear BBC iPlayer app Cache
To clear the BBC iPlayer app cache on your Apple TV,
- Access the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Then, go to General and access the Manage Storage option.
- Now, highlight the trash icon for the BBC iPlayer app in the list and press the Touch surface. The BBC iPlayer app cache and all of its data are removed from the device.
Check For the Server Status of BBC iPlayer
Go to your browser and open downdetctor.com, search for BBC, and see if there is any outage with the platform or not. If a lot of users are facing issues with the app, the platform is facing problems with its services.
A lot of traffic or maintenance activities could be culprits for this. The good news is the developers rectify this problem as soon as possible as they know the problem.