Updation of any software or operating system makes it better than previous. Like others, Windows releases its updates from time to time. But, during updation, sometimes, users face errors and issues. Windows Update Error 0x80072efe is one of them. Usually, users are getting this error code when they try to update their Windows operating system. So, if you are also facing this error code, then this guide will help you to fix this.
But, before going top its fixes, you should know what this error code means and why this appears, because knowing the reason for any error code makes it easy to fix.
What is Update Error 0x80072efe in Windows?
Update Error 0x80072efe indicates that your PC is unable to connect with the Microsoft server due to a faulty date and time of your system, on which you are installing the update, or an Antivirus, firewall, or other software on your system is blocking some files.
Windows has certain criteria to download and install its update, as this checks if you are installing a certified copy of the operating system. A correct time and date are one of these criteria.
We recommend a PC repair tool if you are getting errors and issues with the performance of your PC. You can fix many errors and issue on your PC with the help of the Restoro PC repair tool. Download and install this tool now.
How to fix Windows Update Error 0x80072efe?
Fixing this error code is not a big task as we have provided easy solutions to do in this article. To fix Windows Update Error 0x80072efe you have to do these things:
- Set proper time and date before going to install the update.
- Disable the Firewall before installation and then after installation, enable it.
- Disable the antivirus software if any.
Set your system’s time and date properly
As we have discussed in the definition of this error code, this appears due to faulty date and time settings. So you should set the time and date properly to fix this error code.
- Click on the time and date from the right below the corner of the screen.
- A popup will open with a link- “Change date and time settings…”, click on it.
- A new window will open with three sections. Under the time and date section, click on the change date and time option.
- Make sure you have selected a timezone according to your location. If not, then select appropriate by clicking on the change time Zone option.
- Now, set the date and time to the current and click on the OK button to save changes.
Disable the Firewall to fix the Update Error 0x80072efe
Sometimes, the firewall can also prevent the installation of an update and through an error code. So before going to install an update, you should turn it off, and after the installation of the update, turn it ON.
- Click on the System and Security option and then click on the Windows firewall option.
- Now, the Firewall window will open and when you see it on the left-hand side of the window, you will see an option- Turn Windows Firewall ON or OFF.
- Click on this option, a new side window will open.
- Under the home and private network settings, click on the bow with the text- Turn OFF Windows firewall.
- Now, restart your computer and try to install the update.
Note: After installation, remember to turn the firewall ON.
Disable the antivirus software if any
If you are using antivirus software on your PC then you should disable it before going to install a windows update. We have written an explained article on this, you should read this. You can get help if you have antivirus software and don’t know How to Disable Antivirus software on Windows 10.
Hope this article will help you to fix the Update Error 0x80072efe. If not, then you will have to look for other reasons why your pc is unable to connect with the Microsoft update or you can contact Microsoft support or ask questions on the related forum websites.