News: Outriders, developed by People Can Fly and published by “Square Enix”, is an Action, Adventure, RPG game available on the Steam Store. You can start enjoying this game and dive into the rich storytelling spanning a diverse world. Since its release, many users have started enjoying Outriders, but, some are reporting that the game is crashing, not launching, or getting fatal errors on start-up.
If you also start experiencing problems with Outriders such as the game crashing, freezing, or not launching, then stick with this guide – here you will know why this is happening And how to solve it.
Why is “Outriders” Crashing, freezing, or not launching/opening?
There can be several culprits for Outriders to crash or freeze on your device, including–
- a temporary issue
- corrupted game files
- software conflict
- pending updates
- outdated graphics driver
- Missing or corrupted system drivers
- lack of administrative rights
- Security software such as firewall or antivirus.
- Unknown bug from developers.
Fix Outriders Crashing, Freezing, Not Launching, or Startup Issues
Perform Basic Hacks
Before moving on to any other steps, take some basic steps that can solve such issues and let you play Outriders.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Close and restart– this is the very first step that you may try if Outriders is crashing: just close the game and restart your device (Windows PC, PS5, Deck, macOS, etc): sometimes, the problem may be caused by a temporary glitch that requires a fresh start to resolve.
- If this doesn’t help, check if your device and Outriders are running on their newest version: older versions may cause compatibility issues, resulting in the game crashing.
- Disable Windows Firewall (PC Users)– System security software like your firewall may block certain game files resulting in a fatal error when starting the Outriders game.
- Disable your Antivirus (Windows PC)– Similar to a firewall, if you have antivirus software installed on your device, it may also block certain game files, resulting in Outriders failing to launch. It may also prevent you from accessing certain in-game features.
If you’ve checked these, but the Outriders game is still crashing, follow the steps below.
Check If Your Device Meets the Minimum Requirements
Along with restarting your device and relaunching Outriders, it is also very important to run the game on a system with minimum requirements: if your system fails to meet the minimum requirements, the game may crash, freeze, or won’t launch.
Here are the Minimum Requirements
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10
- Processor: Intel I5-3470 / AMD FX-8350
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti / AMD Radeon R9 270x
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 100 GB available space
- Additional Notes: 720p / 60fps
Update Your PC (Windows)
If you are trying to play Outriders on your Windows PC then make sure that your PC is updated: Pending updates for your PC can be another possible reason for Outriders to crash or freeze. Check and install all available updates for your PC.
- Open Windows Settings.
- From the Settings screen, click on “Windows Update” and then “Check for Updates.”
- See if One or more pending updates are available for your PC and download and install them.
- Relaunch Outriders and see if it starts without the previous issues.
Open the Game With Administrator Rights
Some players on Reddit, have discussed that running Outriders as an administrator has helped them resolve crashing or startup issues.
- From your Steam library, right-click Outriders, and select Properties > Installed Files.
- Click the “Browse” button to open the game directory.
- Next, right-click on the .exe file of the Outriders game and select “Properties.”
- Go to Compatibility > “Run this program as an administrator” option and click the checkbox next to it.
- Click on “Apply” and launch Outriders.
Verify Game Files (Steam Client)
Corrupted game files might also cause loading, launching, crashing, or opening issues: verify and repair corrupted Outriders game files.
- Open your Steam Library.
- Right-click Outriders and click on “Properties” from the appeared options.
- Go to > Local Files > “Verify integrity of game files…” option.
- Wait for Outriders files to be verified by Steam.
- After completing the process, re-launch Outriders.
Disable Steam Overlay
- Open your Steam Library and Right-click on Outriders.
- Select Properties and Go to the General section.
- Uncheck the “Enable Steam Overlay while in-game” checkbox.
- Return to your game Library and relaunch Outriders to check for the not launching issue.
Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
- Open the Steam Library.
- Right-click on Outriders and Select Properties.
- Go to General > click on Set Launch Options.
- Now, copy & paste the following command-line argument:
- Next, save the changes and relaunch Outriders.
Close Background Programs (Windows)
Running multiple background programs may consume more space and resources preventing Outriders from launching smoothly – close the programs one by one and launch the game to see which one is causing the issue.
- Open Task Manager and select a task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task.
- Launch Outriders to see if that program was the culprit.
Note: If this makes no change, perform the same steps with another program to find the culprit. And if this doesn’t help, try the next fix.
Perform A Clean Boot
A clean boot allows the minimum set of drivers and services to run your Windows PC: by performing a clean boot, you will identify if any background programs were interfering with Outriders and causing the crashing issue.
Reinstall the Game
If all the above methods are not able to make any changes to the situation, reinstalling Outriders should be your next step.
The new version of the game “Outriders” can help solve the problems that were in its previous version – uninstall the installed one and reinstall the new version.
Wait for the New Update
The installed version of Outriders can contain some unknown bugs or issues. If this is the case, you may see a new patch note from the developers of Outriders: with this new patch, known issues and bugs like crashes, loading, or fatal errors might be resolved.
Keep your eyes on Outriders’s official social media pages or contact game support.