News: Magic Runes, developed and published by “Hardi”, is an Action, Adventure, Casual, Indie game. While enjoying this game, you will have to complete the dangerous adventures on a mysterious island full of ancient dinosaurs. The developers have made Magic Runes interesting and playable for players, but, some players are reporting on various forums and Reddit that the game is crashing, not launching, or crashing on start-up.
If you are also plagued with such issues with Magic Runes, then stick with this guide – here you will know why this is happening and how to solve it.
Why is “Magic Runes” crashing, freezing, or not launching/opening on StartUp?
Several culprits can be considered for Magic Runes to crash or freeze on your device, including– a temporary glitch, missing or corrupted game files, software conflict, pending updates for your PC (Device), an older version of the graphics driver, some missing or corrupted system drivers, lack of administrative rights, security software such as firewall or antivirus, or unknown bug from developers.
Troubleshoot Magic Runes Crashing, Freezing, Not Launching, or Startup Issues
Close Magic Runes, Reboot Your Device and Relaunch the Game
If Magic Runes is crashing, freezing, or not launching upon startup then this is the first step you should try: Simply close the game and restart your device (PC, PS5, Deck, etc.) Restart and relaunch the game – Sometimes, the problem is only temporary that requires a fresh start.
Update Your Device’s Firmware and the Game
If providing a fresh start does not help resolve the issue, check if your device’s firmware and Magic Runes are running on their latest version – older versions may cause compatibility issues, resulting in game crashes. It may happen, or it may freeze.
Disable Windows Firewall
Due to certain security privileges, your system security software like a Firewall may block certain game files resulting in a fatal error when starting the Magic Runes game – disabling the Firewall before launching the game can prevent such issues.
Disable Antivirus Software
Disable your Antivirus (Windows PC)– just like the firewall, if you have antivirus software (e.g. Norton, McAfee, etc) installed on your device, it may also block certain game files, resulting in Magic Runes failing to launch or crashing.
Check If Your Device Meets the Minimum Requirements
To prevent crashes or startup problems with Magic Runes, it is very important to run the game on a system with at least the minimum requirements– if your system fails to meet the minimum requirements, the game may crash or freeze on startup.
Here are the Minimum Requirements
- OS: Windows 10/11
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 (2*1866) or equivalent
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce 7600 GS (512 MB) or equivalent
- Storage: 1 GB available space
Update Your PC (Windows)
If you are trying to play Magic Runes on your Windows PC then make sure that your PC is updated: pending updates for your PC can be another possible reason for Magic Runes to crash or freeze.
- Open Windows Settings.
- On the Settings screen, click on “Windows Update” and then “Check for Updates.”
- See if One or more pending updates are available and download and install them.
- Relaunch Magic Runes and see if it starts without the previous issues.
Launch Magic Runes as an Administrator
Some players on Reddit, have discussed that running Magic Runes as an administrator has helped them resolve crashing or startup issues.
- Access your Steam library and right-click Magic Runes > select Properties > Installed Files.
- Click the “Browse” button.
- Next, right-click on the .exe file of the Magic Runes game and select “Properties.”
- Go to Compatibility > click the checkbox next to the option- “Run this program as an administrator”.
- Click on “Apply” and launch Magic Runes.
Verify Game Files (Steam Client)
Magic Runes game files may be corrupted or missing during installation, and corrupted or missing game files may cause loading, launching, crashing, or opening problems– verify and repair such files to prevent such problems.
- Open your Steam Library > right-click Magic Runes and click on “Properties” from the options.
- Go to Local Files > “Verify integrity of game files…” option.
- Wait for a while for the process to complete and after the process is complete, launch Magic Runes again.
Disable Steam Overlay
- Open your Steam Library and Right-click on Magic Runes.
- Select Properties and Go to the General section.
- Uncheck the “Enable Steam Overlay while in-game” checkbox.
- Return to your game Library and relaunch Magic Runes to check for the not launching issue.
Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
- Open the Steam Library > right-click on Magic Runes and Select Properties.
- Go to General > click on Set Launch Options.
- Copy & paste the following command-line argument:
- Next, save the changes and launch the Magic Runes again.
Close Background Programs (Windows)
Running multiple programs in the background may consume more resources, preventing Magic Runes from launching smoothly– closing such interfering programs might help resolve freezing or startup issues with the game. Identify and close the interfering programs one by one and launch the game to see which one is causing the issue with Magic Runes.
- Open Task Manager and select a task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task.
- Launch Magic Runes to see if that program was the culprit.
Note: Perform the same steps with another program to check if that is the culprit.
Perform A Clean Boot
Clean boot is a process to allows the minimum set of drivers and services to your Windows PC: by performing a clean boot, you can identify if any background programs were interfering with Magic Runes and causing the crashing issue.
Once you’ve identified the culprit, you can close that program to see if the startup problems with Magic Runes are resolved.
Delete Magic Runes and Install it Again
If all of the above methods are not able to make any changes to the situation, the problem may be with the installed game files– delete Magic Runes and reinstall it from the Steam Store, this should solve the problems with the game.
Verify Game Servers
If the load on the game’s servers reaches its peak, users may face crashing or freezing issues with Magic Runes– confirm the exact situation, wait, and try again after some time.
Wait for the New Update
The installed version of Magic Runes can contain some unknown bugs or issues. If this is the case, you may see a new patch note from the developers of Magic Runes: with this new patch, known issues and bugs like crashes, loading, or fatal errors might be resolved.
Keep your eyes on Magic Runes’s official social media pages or contact game support.